The Possibility Program
The Possibility Program is inspired by the founding vision of Prologue – that every young person in Ontario should have access to performing arts experiences that inspire, empower and spark imaginations. The program subsidizes performances and workshops in schools that are identified as underserved and addresses issues of equity caused by limited school arts budgets.
Involving a formal partnership with the Toronto District School Board since 2015, the TDSB has been supporting arts programming since 1997 by providing financial support for schools to bring in or attend performances from several arts organizations, including, but not limited to, Prologue. Through the support of a range of contributors, Prologue is expanding the Possibility Program through its continued relationship with the TDSB and by engaging other district school boards and young people in underserved communities across Ontario.
Impact & Opportunities for Growth
This past year (2018-2019), the Possibility Program reached 9,000 students at 25 schools throughout the GTA, Peterborough, Barrie, London, Prince Edward County and Manitoulin Island! In addition, the program reached eight Neighbourhood Improvement Areas in Toronto including Rockcliffe-Smythe, Flemingdon Park, Kennedy Park, Scarborough Village, Regent Park, Woburn, Kingsview Village – The Westway and Victoria Village.
Goals of this Program
- Increase opportunities for young people to engage in performing arts experiences with professional artists in their schools by removing economic barriers and allowing for equal access
- Create opportunities for educators to integrate performing arts experiences into their classrooms and enhance ongoing curriculum needs
- Strengthen student participation and involvement with diverse forms of cultural expression
Funds of up to $700 are available per school per academic year. The funding is generally enough to cover the total cost of artist fees for most artists for one Prologue performance or two workshops. In the event the funding does not cover the full cost of the school’s selected Prologue artist company, the school is responsible for the remaining balance. Schools may need to work collaboratively with Prologue to determine which artist company is available and best suits their needs.
Eligible applicants must meet the following requirements:
- A public elementary or secondary school in Ontario
- A demonstrated need due to limited school budget, socio-economic barriers within school community or other barriers to access that identify the school as underserved
- Have not accessed Possibility Program funding within that school year (maximum of one grant per school each year)
- Teachers, Principals, Office Administrators and Parent Council Members can apply to receive funding through the Possibility Program.
- All district school boards within Ontario are eligible to apply*
Prologue will use a series of metrics to evaluate school need for this project. All decisions are final, but applicants are eligible to re-apply in future years.
*Please note, there is a separate funding program for schools within the Toronto District School Board. If you are a TDSB school, and are interested in learning more, please contact Claire St-Francois directly at [email protected] or 416-591-9092 ex.0229.