The Prologue Leadership through the Arts Program (LAP) is a new initiative designed to support youth leadership development in the arts among students in schools across Ontario. With the opportunity to select performing arts experiences for their school and participate in leadership and mentorship training, students will gain self-confidence, build new skills and feel empowered to get more involved in their school life and community.
Over the course of the initial two-year phase of the project, participating students at schools across Ontario will take a leadership role in choosing performances for their school, greeting artists, planning events, publicly introducing performers and managing project budgets; among other activities.
Designed to support performing arts experiences in schools in underserved communities that lack access to the arts, the program will provide funding for students to select Prologue performances or workshops at their school. With the guidance of an educator, groups of junior or intermediate elementary students (Grades 4 – 8) will participate in an orientation with Prologue staff and receive a toolkit with steps and tips.
Goals of Program
- Self-confidence building – students will feel more confident and better able to express themselves as a result of participation
- New skills – students will gain new skills related to arts programming, curation, budgeting, event planning/production and public speaking; among others
- Youth leadership – students will have an increased understanding of what it takes to be a leader in their school and community; and develop their own distinct leadership style
- Engagement – increase opportunities for young people to engage in performing arts experiences with professional artists in their schools
- Curriculum Needs – Create opportunities for educators to integrate performing arts experiences into their classrooms and enhance ongoing curriculum requirements
Funds of up to $1,500.00 are available per school per academic year. The funding is generally enough to cover the total cost of artist fees for two Prologue performance or three workshops. Schools may need to work collaboratively with Prologue to determine which artist company is available and best suits their needs.
Eligible applicants must meet the following requirements:
- A public elementary or secondary school within Ontario
- A demonstrated need due to limited school budget, socio-economic barriers within school community or other barriers to access that identify the school as underserved
- Teachers, Principals, Office Administrators and Parent Council Members can apply to receive funding through the Leadership through the Arts Program.
Prologue will use a series of metrics to evaluate school need for this project. All decisions are final, but applicants are eligible to re-apply in future years.
The application information and deadline will be posted in 2021. Stay tuned!
*Please note, the Possibility Program is a separate funding program for schools across Ontario. If you do not qualify for LAP but are interested in learning more about alternative funding opportunities, please contact email@example.com.
If you are interested in supporting this initiative, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the Prologue Canada Helps page to make a tax-deductible donation.
This program is generously supported by: