Call for Performing Artists in Schools
2020-21 Artist Roster
Are you a performing artist with a passion for reaching young people through the performing arts?
Prologue to the Performing Arts is seeking professional performing artists to join our 2020-21 roster of artists working in schools and communities across Ontario. Prologue to the Performing Arts is a not-for-profit charitable organization that facilitates opportunities for young people to experience the performing arts within Ontario. Impacting communities for over 50 years, each season Prologue reaches over 500,000 children and youth through 1,800 performances and workshops across Ontario. Prologue works with performing artists in all relevant disciplines (dance, theatre, music, storytelling, spoken word, puppetry and others) who reflect the diversity of Ontario to deliver performances and workshops in schools and community venues. Artists selected for the 2020-21 Artist Roster will receive compensation based on negotiated artist fees for all school and community engagements throughout the year.
For 2020-21, Prologue has identified a series of focus areas – including theatre, puppetry, French and bilingual programming, workshops, programs for younger students and artists who self-identify as belonging to an Ontario Arts Council Priority Group – described below that address current gaps in the Artist Roster.
The following criteria will be used in selecting artists for the 2020-21 Roster:
- Artistic excellence and impact in terms of creativity, technical skill, cultural relevance and production quality
- Appropriate for intended audience (grade level, curriculum content)
- Unique work that adds to the diversity of Prologue’s current and future programming (art form, discipline, content and themes, intended grade-levels and curriculum connections)
- Work and company reflect the diversity of Ontario’s population and arts community
- Work that addresses topics/issues that are relevant to school audiences and educators, enhances the arts curriculum and explores relevant educational topics (such as social justice, mental health and well-being, equity and inclusion, FNMI studies, FSL studies, for example)
- Production is accessible to schools (cost to schools, technical requirements, artist availability through the year)
- Artist/company is available to tour within and outside of the Greater Toronto Area
- Available support materials and opportunities to enhance the performance (e.g. Q&A, study guides, workshops)
- Ability to deliver a 40 – 45 minute performance and/or workshop (+ Q & A) in a school setting
- Performance is fully or largely completed and ready to tour schools
- Experience performing in schools is considered an asset
- Addresses one or more of the focus areas for 2020-21:
- French and bilingual programming
- Ability to deliver workshops
- Programs for younger students – Grades K – 3
- Artists who self-identify as belonging to one of the Ontario Arts Council Priority Groups, including Artists of Colour, Deaf Artists and Artists with Disabilities, Francophone Artists, New Generation Artists (18 – 30 years old) and Artists Living Outside of Toronto.
Please review Prologue’s website for information on the current Artist Roster.
Steps for Submission
Phase 1 – Material Submission & Review
- Artists interested in joining the Prologue Roster are invited to apply through the submission form below. Incomplete applications will not be considered for review by the Program Committee.
- Submission of application form and materials must be made through the Google form below or via e-mail with the PDF form.
- Submissions will be reviewed based on Prologue’s Program Committee evaluation criteria in the summer and early fall of 2019.
- Artists will be contacted with the results of Phase 1 by October 2019. Only artists selected for Phase 2 will be invited to participate in a preview performance in a school setting.
Phase 2 – Preview Performances
- If selected, Prologue will contact you to schedule an in-school preview performance. We will help you schedule this performance if you do not have any upcoming school engagements.
- The performance must take place during school hours, with the appropriate grade-level audience and at no cost to the school or Prologue (unless previously booked as part of an existing engagement or tour). Preview performances will take place in Toronto or the GTA.
- Program Committee members will view your performance and will follow-up with any questions or recommended adjustments.
- Artists will be notified of the Program Committee’s final decision by February 2020.
- Artist fees will be negotiated with Prologue following Phase 2 review.
- Selected artists will be invited to join the Artist Roster in time for the May 2020 season launch.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at [email protected]
The deadline for applications has now passed.
To hear about our next deadline for submissions in Spring/ Summer 2020 please sign-up for our Newsletter.