Are you a performing artist with a passion for reaching young people through the performing arts?
Prologue Performing Arts is seeking professional performing artists to join our 2022-23 roster of artists working in schools and communities across Ontario. Prologue Performing Arts is a not-for-profit charitable organization that facilitates opportunities for young people to experience the performing arts within Ontario. Impacting communities for over 50 years, each season Prologue reaches over 500,000 children and youth through 1,800 performances and workshops across Ontario. Prologue works with performing artists in all relevant disciplines (dance, theatre, music, storytelling, spoken word, puppetry and others) who reflect the diversity of Ontario to deliver performances and workshops in schools and community venues. Artists selected for the 2022-23 Artist Roster will receive compensation based on negotiated artist fees for all school and community engagements throughout the year.
For 2022-23, Prologue has identified a series of focus areas – including theatre, BIPOC lead creation projects/programs, Indigenous programming, French and bilingual programming, interactive workshops, programs for high school students and artists who self-identify as belonging to an Ontario Arts Council Priority Group – described below that address current gaps in the Artist Roster.
Prologue asks that any proposed applications have both a digital and an in person offering for the 2022-23 season.
The following criteria will be used in selecting artists for the 2022-23 roster:
- Artistic excellence and impact in terms of creativity, technical skill, cultural relevance and production quality
- Appropriate for intended audience (grade level, curriculum content)
- Unique work that adds to the diversity of Prologue’s current and future programming (art form, discipline, content and themes, intended grade-levels and curriculum connections)
- Work and company reflect the diversity of Ontario’s population and arts community
- Work that addresses topics/issues that are relevant to school audiences and educators, enhances the school curriculum and explores relevant educational topics (such as social justice, mental health and well-being, equity and inclusion, FNMI studies, FSL studies, for example)
- Production is accessible to schools (cost to schools, technical requirements, artist availability through the year)
- Artist/company is available to tour within and outside of the Greater Toronto Area
- Available support materials and opportunities to enhance the performance (e.g. Q&A, study guides, workshops)
- Ability to deliver a 40 – 45 minute performance and/or workshop (+ Q & A) in a school setting
- Performance is fully or largely completed and ready to present to schools both digitally and in person.
- Experience performing in schools or to youth audiences is considered an asset.
Please review Prologue’s website for information on the current Artist Roster.
Steps for Submission
Phase 1 – Material Submission & Review
- Artists interested in joining the Prologue Roster are invited to apply through the submission form linked below. Incomplete applications will not be considered for review by the Program Committee.
- Submission of application form and materials must be made through the Google form or via e-mail with the Prologue Call for Performing Artists Form-Fillable.
- Submissions will be reviewed based on Prologue’s Program Committee evaluation criteria in March 2022. Deadline to submit applications is February 11 2022.
- Artists will be contacted with the results of Phase 1 by April 2022.
Phase 2 – Preview Performances
- If selected, Prologue will contact you to schedule a preview of your performance or discuss your digital offerings in more detail.
- Due to COVID considerations and protocol, we do not anticipate being able to preview any work in person. Therefore, we will work with artists to preview performances virtually.
- Program Committee members will view your performance and Prologue staff will follow-up with any questions or recommended adjustments.
- Artists will be notified of the Program Committee’s final decision by May 2022.
- Artist fees will be negotiated with Prologue following Phase 2 review.
- Selected artists will be invited to join the Artist Roster in time for the May 2022 season launch.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact Programming and Outreach Manager Bremely Karthigesu at firstname.lastname@example.org.