Call for Performing Artists in Schools
2019-20 Artist Roster
Are you a performing artist with a passion for reaching young people through the performing arts?
Prologue to the Performing Arts is seeking professional performing artists to join our 2019-20 roster of artists working in schools and communities across Ontario. Prologue to the Performing Arts is a not-for-profit charitable organization that facilitates opportunities for young people to experience the performing arts within Ontario. Impacting communities for over 50 years, each season Prologue reaches 500,000 children and youth through over 1,800 performances and workshops across Ontario. Prologue is seeking performing artists in all relevant disciplines (dance, theatre, music, storytelling, spoken word, puppetry and others) who reflect the diversity of Ontario to deliver performances and workshops in schools and community venues.
The following criteria will be used in selecting artists for the 2019-20 roster:
- Artistic excellence and impact in terms of creativity, technical skill, cultural relevance and production quality
- Appropriate for intended audience (grade level, curriculum content)
- Unique work that adds to the diversity of Prologue’s current and future programming (art form, discipline, content and themes, intended grade-levels and curriculum connections)
- Work and company reflect the diversity of Ontario’s population and arts community
- Work that addresses topics/issues that are relevant to school audiences and educators, enhances the arts curriculum and explores educational trends (such as social justice, equity, FNMI studies, FSL studies, etc.)
- Production is accessible to schools (cost, technical requirements, availability)
- Artist/company is available to tour within and outside of the Greater Toronto Area
- Available support materials and opportunities to enhance the performance (e.g. Q&A, study guides, workshops)
- Prologue encourages artists who reflect the diversity of Ontario to apply, including but not limited to artists of colour, Francophone artists, Deaf artists and artists with disabilities, Indigenous artists and artists living outside of Toronto
- Experience working with young people and/or in schools considered an asset
Please review Prologue’s website for information on the current artist roster.
Steps for Submission
Phase 1 – Material Submission & Review
- Artists interested in joining the Prologue roster are invited to apply through submission form below. Incomplete applications will not be considered for review by the Program Committee. Deadline has now passed.
- Submission of application form and materials made through the google form below or via e-mail with the PDF form.
- Submissions will be reviewed based on Prologue’s Program Committee evaluation criteria in the summer and early fall of 2018.
- Artists will be contacted with the results of Phase 1 in early fall. Only artists selected for Phase 2 will be invited to participate in a preview performance in a school setting.
Phase 2 – Preview Performances
- Prologue will contact you to schedule an in-school preview performance. We will help you schedule this performance if you do not have any upcoming school engagements.
- The performance must take place during school hours, with the appropriate grade-level audience and at no cost to the school or Prologue (unless previously booked as part of an existing engagement or tour).
- Program Committee members will view your performance and will follow-up with any questions or recommended adjustments.
- Decisions will be made by January of each year and artists will be notified of the Program Committee’s decision in Winter 2019
- Artist fees will be negotiated with Prologue following Phase 2 review.
Deadline to Apply: The deadline for submissions has now passed. Please email [email protected] if you would like more information about upcoming opportunities.